Pomphret - 1 medium
Banana Leaf - 1 leaf
Turmeric Powder - 1 t spoon
Red Chilly Powder - 2 table spoon
Garlic - 2 cloves (Slice it thin and long)
Ginger - 1 small (1" in length) (Slice it thin and long)
Onion - 1 medium (Slice it length wise)
Salt - To taste
Take turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt in a bowl. Sprinkle some water and mix it well. Make sure that the mixture is not too solid.
Make thin slits width wise on the fish on both sides and apply the above mixture evenly on the fish and keep it for around 20-30 minutes.
- Heat 1 banana leaf directly on the flames till it becomes soft.
- Apply 1 tspoon oil evenly on the banana leaf.
- Keep the marinated fish on the banana leaf.
- Add the sliced ginger, garlic and onions along the side of the fish.
- Pour one table spoon of oil on and around the fish.
- Fold the banana leaf.
- Heat a pan and place the folded banana leaf with fish and keep it over medium/low flame.
- Cover the pan with the lid.
- After around 5-7 minutes turn the fish, and keep the other side for frying around 5-7 minutes.
- Now it is ready to serve. Garnish it with roundly sliced onions and curry leaves.
If banana leaf is too long, don't fold it too many times over the fish. Just fold it on the sides and use a tooth pick to stick it.