Ladies Finger - 4no.s (left over)
Brinjal - 1no. medium (left over)
Potato - 1no.medium (left over)
Cauliflower - 4 - 5 florets (left over)
Onion - 1 small
Tomato - 1 small
Garlic - 2 big no.s from a garlic pod
Green chilly - 2no.s
Tamarind - 1 gooseberry size (Soak in 1 cup of water for 10 -15min)
Turmeric powder - 1 t spoon
Red chilly powder - 1 t spoon
Sambar powder - 1 table spoon (which i got from market)
Coriander powder - 1 t spoon
Asafoetida - 1/4 t spoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 t spoon
Red Dried chilly - 3 no.s
Curry leaves - 1 strip
Coriander leaves - 3 strips chopped .
Coconut grated - 1 cup
Toor dal - 1/2 cup (Soak it for 1/2hour)
Salt - to taste
- Heat a pan and roast coconut,When coconut changes it color to slight brown add red chilly powder, coriander powder, sambar powder & roast it till it become brownish.Keep it aside.
- Chop all the left over veggies ,slice onions & tomato lengthwise,green chilly,chop garlic into fine pieces.
- Grind the roasted coconut and make it a coarse paste.
- Take a vessel with a lid. Add dal with enough water.Boil the dal with pinch of turmeric and 1/2 t spoon of salt.
- When dal is half cooked,add the potato pieces,Continue cooking, Add sliced onions,chopped veggies. & green chilly. Add enough water for veggies to cook.Close the vessel with the lid.
- Once veggies starts cooking up,add sliced tomatoes & 1 cup of tamarind water.
- Add the coconut paste to the cooked veggies.Cook for 5 mins.
- Heat a frying pan. Add cooking oil , splutter mustard seeds, then add chopped garlic,red dried chilly,curry leaves & a 1/4 t spoon of asafoetida.
- Transfer these contents on to sambar and mix it well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.