Rice (White rice)- 1 cup
Macaroni (Elbow Shaped)- 3/4 cup
Green lentils - 1/2 cup
Tomato Paste - 4 full table spoon
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves
Onion - 2 medium (1 chopped finely, other sliced lengthwise for frying)
Red Pepper Flakes - 1 t spoon
Black Pepper - 1 t spoon (each serve)
Salt - to taste (each serve)
Olive Oil - 2 table spoon for frying onions
Olive oil - 1 table spoon
- Wash & clean rice well. Cook the rice with 2cups of water. Cook the macaroni with enough water and 1 t spoon of oil & 1/2 t spoon of salt until it becomes soft & tender. Cook the lentils with enough water until it becomes soft. Cook all the three items separately in wide opened vessels. Once cooked, drain the water from each of them and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add 2 table spoon of olive oil. Add sliced onions and fry it well until it turns brown & crispy. Keep it aside in a tissue paper & drain the excess oil from it.
- Again in the same pan add 1 table spoon of olive oil & add finely chopped garlic, onions and saute well till it becomes tender.
- Add tomato paste to it and keep stirring with a wooden spatula. Add red pepper flakes & salt to it. Mix well. Keep it aside. (If you prefer non spicy, don't add the pepper flakes)
- Take a bowl & add small portion of cooked lentils, cooked rice & cooked pasta.
- Layer a spoon full of cooked tomato paste, fried onions, Salt & pepper & serve individually.
- You can mix it well with a fork & spoon (rice, lentils, pasta , tomato paste,fried onions salt & pepper) & enjoy the kushari.
Instead of macaroni, you can add spaghetti or you can use combo of macaroni & spaghetti. But you have to cook separately.
Instead of tomato paste you can blend tomatoes with little water. You can add vinegar too.